Most of us starting out in business have taken the courageous step but are stuck on how to get their business noticed. Most start ups have a very limited budget so you have to be careful. I had no budget for marketing so I used Twitter and Facebook to market my business. So before you go spending a fortune try these top tips I have put together first!
- Find out who your target market listens to on the radio or watches on TV. What newspaper do they read? What magazines or social media platforms are they most likely to be on? Listen to the radio and target the talk show radio stations or ring them if you hear them talking about anything relevant to what you are doing.
- Write a press release. Send the press release to any radio/TV program, magazine or paper that you think would be interested in your product or service. This should be interesting with pics and have a hook or problem/ crisis that you have the solution for. Add a bit of your personal story too. Follow the email/phone calls up.
Use Twitter. It does depend on what market you are targeting, but me I started to use it straight away to tell people what I was doing. Actually, I shouted it. To fit what you do into 140 characters can be difficult but work on it, and include the link to your site! When you gain a certain amount of followers, you can let a bit more about you or other subjects go into your tweets. Follow business people and influencers. You want them to notice you and get on their radar.
- Use #Womensinspire every Tuesday 10-11pm on Twitter. Plenty of other entrepreneurs out there just like you who would love to help you get out there!
- Other Twitter chats - #irishhealthhour #irishweddingchat #louthchat #Belfasthour
- Get photos of you with well known people/personalities. Always put pictures up of anyone you meet, as people want to see who you are hanging out with!
Get to networking events. No one will know who you are unless you tell people who you are and what you do! Yes it can be intimidating but go with a friend or ask someone local are they going too…..they might be glad of the company! Go to business events like conferences there are lots of events to go to where you will also learn more.
Get involved in something worthwhile like a charity that is close to your heart. Promote and shout about it as it will help raise awareness for the charity and show people that you are human and have a heart. People like to get to know who they are dealing with. Charities need help always to raise awareness and to promote them. Also, listen to other start ups and assist them with Re tweets or spreading the word about what they are doing. That way they are more likely to do the same.
Carry business cards, everywhere!! Give them to anyone you chat to, tell the world or anyone who will listen, about what you do, and who you are! Or wear a tee shirt with your branding on it!! (Walking advertisement)
Blog about what you do, make it interesting so people will share it for their friends to see. Show yourself as the Expert in what you do!
Dress differently or wear warm colours or colours that suit your personality! Make an effort to stand out.
Use consistent pictures and branding tools across the net so people can relate all the information they come across to you, like the same headshot, tag line for instance.
Ask for help from more experience business people. If you ask, business leaders are usually happy to assist you with advice or just pointing you in the right direction
Enter Business awards. There is usually a Start up category. The publicity you get from winning or even being shortlisted is wonderful. It shows you are a reliable and trusted brand and that others see your potential. Gives you a great boost too!
Join my network. Tweet to me @Tweetinggoddess I'm always happy to Retweet new people who have started a business. Or Join Women's inspire network. We do weekly webinars on all kinds of topics essential for small business owners. We also feature members and give members opportunities that they might not get otherwise. Join here
The important thing is to keep at it, use social media, surround yourself with good people and go for it! Oh ....and enjoy the Roller Coaster....